BULLIES come in all ages

BULLIES come in all ages
(click to see movie trailer)

Surround yourself with positive people,
energy, and situations;
always avoid negativity.

~~~~~~~~~~

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.
So, love the people who treat you right.

Forgive, and then forget about the ones who don't.


Monday, December 15, 2008

Iditarod Bound!!!


It's official, I'm going to the Iditarod in Anchorage this March.



For those who know me, this is no surprise. I have traveled to Alaska several times, but never during The Last Great Race.
It has been a dream of mine for years and several recent circumstances have led me to the realization that this is the year to "Just Do It!"

What might surprise you is that I'm putting on my BIG GIRL PANTIES, getting on that plane and flying to AK without D. I'll be meeting my new Idita-Sista, Janet and her husband Walt.
As ~L put it, "...It's a good thing to get out of the comfort zone once in a while...makes us grow..." Thanks for the encouragement, ~L.

I am a loyal viewer of Fairbanks Daily News-Miner Arctic Cam. Through this site I have met many new and exciting people from all over the world, who share my love of Alaska. We have developed genuine friendships.

One of those new friends is Janet. Janet has been to the Iditarod several times, as an observer and an Idita-Rider. She wasn't just anybody's Rider. She was Lance Mackey's Idita-rider the past 2 years. Hmmm-he also won the race those 2 years. Janet has graciously volunteered to lead me around on this Field Trip of a Lifetime!!!!

Lance Mackey and Janet

2008 Iditarod Ceremonial Start





The staff of the DNM (Julie, Venus) and an AC friend (Faith) decorated this lovely tree today in the DNM parking lot for all of us viewers...I'm telling you, this is really a special place with special people.




Faith, Julie and Venus decorating tree.



Isn't it lovely? Thanks, Ladies!

Here's a cool video showing them trimming the tree:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29420701@N0...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AByW7WVeH7g (thx, miganut and Mark)

Arctic Cam: http://newsminer.com/arcticcam/


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for the Gusto, Kit! Maybe you'll get to be an Idita-rider, too!

Whoohoo! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Great posting with the DNM Christmas tree photos!

Thanks for sharing!
Kathy
Birdingrvers

Christine said...

You will have a grand time, if you get the chance go to the finish in Nome too.
Last year I took a great picture of Lance with Janet in the sled on the trail near Campbell Creek Science Center but have no way to get it to her.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, congratulations on making the big step. You won't regret it! If you have trouble with flying you could do what my wife does....she gets a few 'tranks' from her doctor to cover the round trip. I go to the ceremonial start every year but not the restart in Wassila/Willow. You may want to consider going there also......

Lindsay said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog!

Your Labs are fabulous!

Sounds like you're going to have an amazing trip!

Brown dog kisses,
Dannan and The Girl

Anonymous said...

I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Look out Iditarod, here we come!
Janet

Susie Q said...

This is so exciting. I am just a little bit green with envy! : )
I still have yet to get to Alaska but it is on th elist...soon we hope. My husband has been via the military and loved it.
But to be there as a part of such a special event!

Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

how can you write a so cool blog,i am watting your new post in the future!