BULLIES come in all ages

BULLIES come in all ages
(click to see movie trailer)

Surround yourself with positive people,
energy, and situations;
always avoid negativity.

~~~~~~~~~~

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.
So, love the people who treat you right.

Forgive, and then forget about the ones who don't.


Monday, May 11, 2009

Birdie Maternity Ward

This time of year our house becomes a Birdie Maternity Ward.

We enjoy watching the parents build nests in early spring, each in their own distinctive manner and place. Then we eagerly await the arrival of the babies.



This nest, positioned on the downspout next to the garage, is truly a work of art, made of mud, moss and Labrador Retriever fur. We believe is was built by a pair of Flycatchers. They are much easier to hear than see. They certainly slung the mud while building their nest.




In the past, the wreath hanging on the garage door has been the favorite nesting spot for the Carolina Wrens.


For some reason, this year they decided my greenhouse was a more desirable place. Consequently, I haven't been able to spend much time in there myself, for fear of disturbing their nesting activity.



The Chickadees choose this clay birdhouse every year, no matter where I hang it.
They are becoming quite active and noisy so I expect them to fledge soon.


Our favorites, Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal, built their nest in the nandinas by the garage this year. Considering the Cardinal's size, the nest is rather small. The male Cardinal is an excellent mate, bringing the female food as she broods. He also shares in the responsibilities of raising the young birds.


Yesterday, Mother's Day, was Fledging Day as the two baby cardinals left the nest. Mom and Dad were in a noisy panic as the fledglings hopped from limb to limb.It's hard to believe that this awkward looking creature will someday be a magnificent Northern Cardinal.


As my Birding RV-er friend, Kathy said, "He looks like a little punker with a bad hair day!!"

Each year as I watch the young leave their nests I'm always reminded of my favorite Andy Griffith episode , Opie-The Birdman.

Opie accidentally kills a mother bird with his new slingshot and takes it upon himself to raise the orphaned baby birds. He grows very attached to them, but then has to set them free when they get big.

Opie sadly comments,"Cage sure looks awful empty, don't it, Pa?"

Andy replies, "Yes, son, it does... But don't the trees seem nice and full?"



Happy Trails,

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent pics and wonderful narrative! I remember the episode with Opie and the birds. Had not thought about it in forever. Great wisdom for the ages! SH

Nibbles Treats said...

How exciting and what beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing! We only had a robins nest to enjoy this year but it has been rather fun to watch.

Tinkerbell, Oscar and Tucker

Moose said...

Awww... that is the sweetest non-doggie thing ever! WE have lots of sea birds down here but none of the ones that are familiar from my childhood up north (at least not in large numbers) like chickadees and cardinals.

Mason Dixie said...

Having all those birds around must be a lot of fun. =) wow 122 pounds!! you are almost twice the size of me, would you come to the dog park with me and protect me? I got attacked today yet again except this time I was bleeding. I too am trying to lose weight, no fun at all.

Shelley said...

I am so envious of all the bird babies you are going to have! That baby cardinal was adorable!!

Huskee and Hershey said...

Thanks for sharing! This is a wonderful post.. Honestly, we haven't really had the chance to see even a bird nest because we live in a concrete jungle.

Anonymous said...

Aw, those baby birds are adorable! We get bird families around our house, too - blue jays and mockingbirds.

See ya!
Joey

Anonymous said...

Andy Griffith is a good show (I still watch reruns).
Kit, I think you would of had a hay day living on a farm!

Vicki