BULLIES come in all ages

BULLIES come in all ages
(click to see movie trailer)

Surround yourself with positive people,
energy, and situations;
always avoid negativity.

~~~~~~~~~~

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.
So, love the people who treat you right.

Forgive, and then forget about the ones who don't.


Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Vet Visit

Yesterday was annual exam and vaccination day for Zack and Buddy and I am happy to report that they are both healthy. Blood work and fecal samples were negative and Zack weighs a healthy 97.2 lbs. Dr. Annette said Zack's head wound was healing nicely and his hair should grow back, eventually.



Zack gets so nervous at the vet, he was trying to get out the door as soon as we walked in the examining room.



And it's official; Buddy needs to lose weight, at least 10 pounds according to Dr. Annette. We knew that he had "filled out" some over the winter, but we were shocked when the scales read 122 lbs.!




Dr. Annette did say that he was a big-boned boy, but he is also carrying some extra "junk in his trunk". He now gets half as much food w/ half a can of green beans each meal. He isn't real excited about the green beans in his food, but he isn't leaving any in the bowl. The only treats he can have are carrots.

This is going to be as difficult for me as it is for Buddy, as I am a sucker for his pitiful face. I've decided since misery loves company, I'll try to lose at least 10 lbs. with him. I'll keep you posted on OUR progress. (And NO, I'm not telling how much I weigh!)




It was cool yesterday and Dr. Annette's horses were frisky...



Happy Trails,

19 comments:

JacksDad said...

I wish both of you well on your new diet. I'm glad Zack is doing well too!

Jack said to eat a carrot for him!

Mason Dixie said...

Good luck with the diets. =) I eat carrots with my dry food, never tried green beans but maybe mom will pick me up some. I have to lose 6 pounds. =(

Ina in Alaska said...

I would join you both in the 10 lb crusade, but just too laaazy..... Enjoy your carrots and green beans!!! Those horses were magnificent!

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Good Luck on the diet - Carrleigh needs to loose a few pounds - we might try her on some of those green beans. We all love carrots.

Have a Terrific Tuesday and please drop by and visit us sometime.

Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Rufus and Indie said...

Rufus is a kittle overweight too! That's boring!:)
The hourses are beautiful!

kks said...

zach, it happens to us all....a few extra lbs over the winter..! beautiful horses!

Anonymous said...

I don't like doctor visits either.......can't wait to get out of there.....
May I come to your diet boot camp?
I gained more than 10 lbs. over winter.........(I do like carrots and green beans.....but need some news ways to choke them down)

Vicki

Elizabeth Bergesen said...

I need to say goodbye to 10 lbs too! I will be working out with the two of you in spirit ;)

Anonymous said...

Kit!!
What a good mommy Buddy has to diet with him!!! I love the sheep quote...never heard it before. HA!!
Tell Buddy he doesn't look like he weighs 122....must be the shiny black coat he wears...I hear black is slimming. Good luck to you both...so nice to have a 'Buddy' when on a diet.
Hugs and pets to all,
Cecilia

Nika + PARKER said...

Good luck!! I lost 20 pounds in 1 yr, I had toooooo!!! I had knee surgery and really needed to lose, so i've been eating green beans with my kibble and only carrots and low fat cookies (mom is really strict) - but YOU guys can do it too!!!!!
Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm Lil Billy is a whopping 11 lbs! He really needs to lose about 2 lbs. He LOVES raw carrots but doesn't chew them good enough. Maybe I will process them and add to food. Wish that was all I had to lose! Glad Zach's head is doing good.
Gloria

Amber and Nala said...

Glad they are healthy!! Good luck with the diet Buddy! :)

Nala

Anonymous said...

Great pics and video! Cami is weighing in at 11.9 lbs (that one-tenth is criticl to her!). When she was young, the vet called her "lean, mean fighting machine." To think I used to worry she was too thin. Spending her days and nights with Mamma and Daddy while Daddy was sick contributed to her sedentary life style. The vet told me to watch her treaats. I do...I watch Mamma give them to her! Good luck to Buddy and you. Maybe I will get motivated from hearing about your progress! SH

Anonymous said...

Glad to know that Zack and Buddy ar doing so well! The horse video is great!

Life With Dogs said...

Truffles will provide virtual support with your weight loss program - she's a pro at the gaining part, perhaps she'll learn from your example.

But I'm with you on the beans my friend.

Moose said...

Glad you got a clean bill of health! I had no idea Buddy was such a big boy, he looks just right to us! But we learned the hard way that the big pups do better when they are lean! Luckily for me my Moose loves green beans and carrots. He will come running when he hears me say carrot!
Good luck on your diet!
Also we left something for you on our post: http://dewdana.blogspot.com/2009/05/post-201-awards-and-pooltime-fun.html

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the dieting - I like green beans - but then I like anything green, especially if it grows in the back yard! (I think those horsies wanted some carrots and green beans, too.)

See ya!
Joey

Shelley said...

I must've missed how Zack got his head wound but glad he's doing well! Buddy is a big boy! We had a female lab that was 115 pounds - and believe it or not she wasn't fat - she was very tall. The vet said that was the biggest female lab she had ever seen. Love your dogs!!

GreytGold said...

Drew was on the green bean diet last fall and lost 8 pounds. He's now at his perfect 'retired racing' weight. Beware of the added fiber... Sometimes things get a little juicy on the south side...
:-P