BULLIES come in all ages

BULLIES come in all ages
(click to see movie trailer)

Surround yourself with positive people,
energy, and situations;
always avoid negativity.

~~~~~~~~~~

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.
So, love the people who treat you right.

Forgive, and then forget about the ones who don't.


Monday, March 29, 2010

Monday's Memory~ Honey Bun




Honey Bun (HB), the lop-eared rabbit, lived a healthy and happy life as my classroom pet for 10 years. Having a rabbit in the classroom had a wonderful calming effect on the students. She was litter trained and spent most of the day out of her cage.

Easter was HB's favorite holiday and she was always present for the annual egg hunt at school.

I still see former students and parents who ask about HB. It saddens me to have to report that she passed away, peacefully in her sleep, 3 years ago.


If you're looking for a special book to add to a child's Easter basket, I highly recommend, Leo the Lop by Stephen Cosgrove.

It is a delightfully illustrated book about how Leo and his bunny buddies learn one of life's most important lessons.


I DO NOT RECOMMEND giving live bunnies as Easter gifts. HB had been an Easter bunny, returned to the pet store, and was living her life in a cage in the pet store warehouse. Apparently, animals returned to pet stores cannot be resold, because stores can no longer guarantee the animals' health. A friend who worked at the store asked me to rescue HB. Honey Bun was one of the sweetest animals I have ever known.



Honey Bun, enjoying her favorite snack, raw sweet potato,
on my desk at school.




Happy Trails,

29 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Ahhhh!

How khute!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow----so Honey Bun lived for TEN years??? That's amazing... AND--just think how many students loved Honey Bun during those years!!!!!! Love it!
Hugs,
Betsy

Kate said...

Ma said she prefers the forbidden fruit at easter time (that brown creamy delicious stuff I'm not allowed)

Honey Bun! She looks like a character! I'm glad she got rescued

Koda MD

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute! Love the desk pic! I can't wait to check out the book. SH

MaryBeth said...

Such a sweet bunny!! The girls were asking if I remembered when "our real Easter bunny" visited us a few years ago just the other day?!? How do kids remember everything???

Dexter said...

That is great that you could rescue her. Bunnies are more work than people think. No animal is a casual thing, not even a fish tank.

Mango Momma

My Mind's Eye said...

Ms K thank you for sharing the beautiful story of Honey Bunny....oh my word you were her guardian angel.
I've heard that bunnies could be litter trained but never actually new of a success story. What a precious picture of her sitting on your desk.....
Madi and Mom

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

What a sweet story and such wonderful photographs.

We rescued Java from a pet store in that same type of situation and he was just the sweetest dog ever.

Lynn

Anonymous said...

What would homeless animals do without souls like you? Your heart makes a home for the less fortunate. I guess it can be said, you always cheer for the underdog! Honey Bun was a loved, lucky little "wabbit!"
Liz

Thor and Jack said...

Soo cute!

Thor

Maxmom said...

Very sweet tribute!
I think my schooling would have been happier had I had a honey-bun in the classroom!
Lotsalicks
MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRICA

Sonic said...

Bunnies are so cute! Their ears are almost as big as my brother Knuckles'!

Sonic

Ina in Alaska said...

Oh Honey was an adorable Bunny! I was unaware of the pet store policy about returned pets! How sad! I wish pet stores were not in existence but since they are, I further wish there would be a ban on selling pets at holiday times. People should never buy a pet as a gift for someone else unless that pet was chosen by the recipient after long and careful consideration. That is all. xoxo

Unknown said...

And I see HB had some TY friends with her. So cute! How nice that the kids still remember her. Great lesson it was for them!

Smushie Ranch said...

Wow, we didn't know that about pets returned to the pet store. We're glad you rescued her.

Shannon and the Gang

Infrequent Flyers said...

I love the name Honey Bun. Makes me think of delicious cinnamon rolls. What a long and happy life your Honey Bun had. She brought joy to many, many kids! And how considerate of her to be litter trained!

Sierra Rose said...

Sweet bunny!!! Love that giant raw potato!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

What a wonderful memory, thanks so much for sharing HB with us!!

Smileys!
Dory

Remington said...

What a cutie! And was 10 years old....very cool....

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Oh HB we can understand why you are missed... RIP Honey Bun..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Moose said...

Litter trained? I had no idea you could do that! Sounds like she had a good life on the second try!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

What a beautiful rabbit!!!
My mother was a librarian in a middle school and had a rabbit that she found on the side of the road that was kept in the library for several years. "Raisin" even spent weekends at the home of some of the students--We used to see students that asked about him and like your students remembered him fondly, as do I! They do make great pets in the right circumstances!

♥I am Holly♥ said...

That is such a beautiful tribute to Honey Bun! You definitely brought alot of happiness to her life along with rescuing her. I bet the kids were so happy to have a rabbit in class!

Scout and Freyja said...

We are so furry sorry that your sweet bunny had to leave for heaven. When we lose someone we love - it is so difficult.

Keeping you close to our hearts during this most sad time.

Unknown said...

Ohhhh, I looooved his post. Recommended a book NOT a bunny. Great thinking!
Twinkie

Life With Dogs said...

That makes me miss our little bun. They are so sweet. ♥

Taffy said...

What a pretty girl she was! Love that photo of her on your desk!
Snuggles,
Twix

Amber and Nala said...

Ahhh, Honey Bun looks like she was a sweetie! There is an amazing 1st grade teacher at my school and she has a bunny that runs around her room...so cool! And I loved Leo the Lop as a kid and still do. :)

Amber

kissa-bull said...

just precious