BULLIES come in all ages

BULLIES come in all ages
(click to see movie trailer)

Surround yourself with positive people,
energy, and situations;
always avoid negativity.

~~~~~~~~~~

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.
So, love the people who treat you right.

Forgive, and then forget about the ones who don't.


Thursday, January 22, 2009

Shadows


One of my favorite authors, photographers, and people (for that matter), Jon Katz, has a new book. I have read several of Jon's books focusing on his relationships and experiences with dogs. I also subscribe to his blog, Bedlam Farm Journal , which is a daily journal describing his life on a farm in upstate New York with a menagerie of animals including dogs, cats, donkeys, sheep, etc.

Jon's Hospice Journal has shown his readers a softer, gentler side of the man. Along with two of his dogs, Izzy and Lenore (the Love Hound), Jon visits hospice patients and their families in private homes, hospitals, nursing homes and other facilities-spreading smiles, love, and fur everywhere they go.

In Jon's latest book, "Out Of The Shadows," he discusses an issue many of us have dealt with personally, depression. Katz says, "The book deals, in words and photos, with fear, depression, anxiety and the search for a grounded and peaceful life. I see the story as something of a Joseph Campbell story, an account of one person's search for his place in the world, leaving his community behind, encountering difficulty and darkness and surviving to give rebirth to life".


As Jon says, it helps to know that others have dealt with and overcome the same worries and fears life throws at us all. I have gained strength, courage and hope through Jon's writings.

A few of my favorite dog books by Jon include: Running to the Mountain, The New Work of Dogs, A Dog Year (my favorite), and Izzy & Lenore- all published by Random House Books.







5 comments:

Chester said...

Mom read 2 of those books too. A Dog Year was her favorite too. She told me she's gonna check out that website but more than likely won't be reading any of his books any time soon 'cause she's making an effort to read all the books she's already got. She doesn't get the chance to read as much as she used to since I came to live here. But she has lost weight because she takes me for walks ALOT. Moral of the story: sometimes ya gotta make adjustments and when you do, ya get unexpected benefits. The whole "life gives ya lemons and making lemonade" theory. Chester

Shelley said...

Thank you for those recommendations! Is this the same guy that owns Border Collies? Or am I thinking of another author? I'll need to do some checking - my memory is soing! lol!

Catty Wampus said...

Hi there Ms K; thanks for visiting and please do add me to your list; I have signed on as one of your followers too. I just love dogs and anything to do with dogs! They are the love of my life truly! Please visit again and I love your fur kids! Merrie

Mason Dixie said...

My mom will have to look into those books. =)

Anonymous said...

I love the video of your dog barking!!
Agent Cicada