BULLIES come in all ages

BULLIES come in all ages
(click to see movie trailer)

Surround yourself with positive people,
energy, and situations;
always avoid negativity.

~~~~~~~~~~

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.
So, love the people who treat you right.

Forgive, and then forget about the ones who don't.


Saturday, January 17, 2009

Surprises in the Mail

Over the past couple of months I have received several surprises in the mail. I have made friends all over the world through a social network called Arctic Camsters, a group of folks who all share a love of Alaska.

I received Christmas cards through email and snail mail from many of my new friends, including one from Germany.



I've also received gifts!!!! Christine from Soldotna, Alaska sent this great Iditarod 2008 Deja' Vu video. These outstanding productions capture the beauty of Alaska and the spirit of the Iditarod. I've watched it three times and will surely watch it again before my trip in March. Thank you!



My friend Vicki, who lives on a farm in North Dakota, sent me a unique and humorous gift- a bar of North Dakota Dirt Soap! The directions on the wrapper say, " To smell like a hard working North Dakota farmer, open package and shower with dirt soap to immerse your senses in sweet North Dakota dirt".




I've never been to North Dakota, but the soap definitely smells like good, rich farm dirt! As soon as I opened the package I had an overwhelming desire to go dig in the dirt! If smelling like dirt sounds appealing to you, you can order your very own bar of Dirt Soap at ppleasures . You're a hoot girl!





Yesterday I received yet another surprise in the mail. My friend Kath, at BirdingRVers, sent me two beautiful pairs of handmade earrings. I had picked out the turquoise colored ones and she designed/made the second(surprise) pair based on a picture I had sent her.

Kath says the heart-shaped ones are made of Labradorite, perfect for Lab Lady. How cool is that!?! I will be taking both pairs to Anchorage and wearing them in Kath's honor. You gotta meet us there next year for sure, Girl!!!

If you would like to see more of the lovely earrings Kath makes or if you have a special request, you can leave her a comment on the blog listed above. Even if you're not interested in earrings, check out the blog, a journal of life as full time RVer's.


I must also add the gift my friend Janet has given me. When I read that Janet had been Lance Mackey's Idita-Rider the past 2 years, I said to myself, "You gotta meet this lady!" I don't believe in coincidences. I didn't just "happen upon" her comment on Arctic Cam that day. I sent her a message, she responded immediately, eager to share her personal Iditarod experiences. Janet sensed how badly I wanted to be on 4th Ave. on the first Saturday in March, surrounded by barking, bouncing, excited dogs and the amazing folks who follow behind them.

Janet continued sharing her adventures, making it all feel more personal and possible to me. Janet encouraged me, offered to meet me in Anchorage, and the next thing I knew I had made my reservations! That wouldn't have happened without Janet's willingness to reach out to a complete stranger. (well, maybe she could tell I'm not THAT strange).
So, I guess you could say that Janet has given me the gift of the Iditarod. (I'll be forwarding all the bills-chuckle).

As I sit here typing , it occurs to me that although I have never met any of these wonderful ladies in person, I have a sense of closeness to each of them I can't describe. A sisterhood of sorts.Thank you Ladies, for best gifts of all- your friendship and for a becoming a part of my life.



Get out the shorts and flip flops!!!!


Enjoy the chinook while it lasts, Fairbanks.

You deserve it!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read today that it is colder in Alabama than in Alaska! Go figure! It was 17 degrees F in Savannah this morning! No ice because of the sun, but cooold! The earrings are wonderful! Lucky you! I so enjoy reading the blog. Looking forward to the Alaska updates. SH

Mason Dixie said...

What great surprises to get in the mail. Yay. Have a great weekend

Mason Dixie said...

The link for the necklace is on my sidebar if you are interested. =)

Chester said...

What wonderful gifts! Getting to see the Iditarod up close and personal sounds like a dream come true. Will be anxious to see pictures and hear stories of your adventure!!

Melissa said...

Wow! You have made some amazing friends. That is truly wonderful.

I loved reading about them and their generous hearts. I can see why they are friends with you.

Melissa

Justabeachkat said...

I love the earrings! Both pair. Isn't it wonderful to meet so many talented bloggers? This afternoon I posted photos of a necklace one of my blog friends made for me.

Hugs!
Kat

Edie and Gus said...

You know, I drive by that Arctic Cam in Fairbanks everyday on the way to work and home again! We have certainly enjoyed the warm weather, although the temps are already dropping again. Lots of winter left for us!