BULLIES come in all ages

BULLIES come in all ages
(click to see movie trailer)

Surround yourself with positive people,
energy, and situations;
always avoid negativity.

~~~~~~~~~~

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.
So, love the people who treat you right.

Forgive, and then forget about the ones who don't.


Thursday, January 15, 2009

Zack the Shelter Dog


When we adopted Zack in 2001, he was in a kill-shelter and his days were numbered. He had been previously adopted and returned to the shelter for unknown reasons. We also rescued Buddy from a local shelter.

Twenty-five percent of all pets brought into animal control or county-run animal shelters are purebred dogs. This means that someone bought a pet from a breeder or pet shop for hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars, and a few months or years later, surrendered the dog to a shelter or abandoned the pet to fend for itself.

Since the Labrador Retriever is the #1 dog in the U.S., according to the AKC, Labs and Lab mixes are also the #1 dog in animal shelters and/or humane societies. Many owners do not realize that Labs do not fully mature until approximately 2-3 years of age. They also do not seem to realize that these dogs need direction & training to compensate for their high energy level. The #1 reason that Labs are in shelters is LACK OF OWNER COMMITMENT. Some people find it easier to dispose of their pets than to take the time to train and exercise them.

Whether you are looking for a purebred or mixed breed dog (or sweet cat), please consider looking at your local shelter first. A good place to start your search is http://www.petfinder.com/.

10 comments:

LivingTheLife said...

Your Zack is goregeous...we have Maggie our lab...they could be brother and sister. I found you through Kat's blog...the picture of Zack on her sidebar caught my eye.

You can read in my archives on some of Maggie's shenanigans...actually, she is a really great dog...very willing to please, loves to be loved, loves to fetch (she will do this as long as our arms hold out) and she is a great big sister to our little "Cookie" monster....a shitstzu...I wouldn't take for our sweet Maggie, she is 5 years old...and loves to keep busy. I think you hit the nail on the head with people buying labs...then figuring out that these dogs really need a "job" they like to stay busy, they love being exercised and need plenty of room to roam.

God Bless you for sheltering these lovely animals.

Blessings...
Teresa

Justabeachkat said...

What a beauty he is! What a shame that someone would think it's okay to just throw away these gorgeous creatures. Having pets is work, but the love they give us is priceless.

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

I love your Lab story.... your pups are lucky to be picked by you and you are lucky to be owned by them. Madi has such a good life, little does she know...I tell my hubby all the time if I were a cat I would hope to be owned by someone like me.
If I lived 200 years I'd never understand why people think it is stylish to 'own' an animal. It is a commitment and they are PART of your family. If we all listened and watched animals we we be better humans.
Cecilia

Deb said...

Zack is a handsome fellow! Our Ben was also a shelter dog ~ and I loved your post mentioning looking at your local shelter first. Zack (& Ben) are perfect examples of the precious dogs waiting.
Thank you for your kind Birthday Wishes today!

Terri Steffes said...

Excellent advice. I love labs but do not feel I have the space or the time for one. I do have a westie and a bichon frese mix that we adopted this year! They were rescued dogs, too. I posted a picture on my blog yesterday about them!

Ms. ~K said...

test

Shelley said...

He does have a gorgeous face! I grew up w/ labs and you are right about them keeping their puppy mentality for a long time - but what they were they best dogs that I ever had!

Sue said...

What a very handsome dog you have there....Some people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs...it's a commitment for years and I don't think some people realize that. I hope your post inspires people to bring those wonderful shelter dogs into their homes and make them part of the family.....and not just a passing fad....

Anonymous said...

What an intelligent face. Big kiss to you Zack.
Janet

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to see Zack have his moment in the sun! What a face! Cami has a lab who lives next door. Poor guy...he was bought as a pet for three kids who never play with him...was never trained...so they wonder why he jumps on people. He is rarely spoken to except by Cami and me. We do our best, but wish he could have consistent attention. I recommended that the owner look for him a new home. You know that was appreciated. They said he was so bad, no one would want him. Not true...he wants attention from his people. Pets are not dolls...they are our family. Of course, some people treat children like dolls...so no wonder they view pets as expendable. Makes me cry... SH