BULLIES come in all ages

BULLIES come in all ages
(click to see movie trailer)

Surround yourself with positive people,
energy, and situations;
always avoid negativity.

~~~~~~~~~~

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.
So, love the people who treat you right.

Forgive, and then forget about the ones who don't.


Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bunny for Easter?

Honey Bun was my classroom/ personal pet for 10 years.
She had been returned to a pet store after a child lost interest in the Easter Bunny's surprise.
She passed away, peacefully in her sleep, last July.
She was a wonderful addition to my classroom and my life.

Surprising a child with a live Easter bunny may not be a warm, fuzzy idea.
Contrary to Eastertime hype, rabbits and small children are not always a good match. The natural exuberance, rambunctiousness and decibel-level of even the gentlest toddler are stressful for the sensitive rabbit. It is the rare child who will enjoy and appreciate the rabbit's subtle and sensitive nature.

Another misconception is that rabbits are passive and cuddly. They are ground-loving creatures who feel frightened and insecure when held and restrained. Children like a companion they can hold, carry, and cuddle, just as they do their favorite stuffed animal. It is unreasonable to expect a child to be able to take full responsibility for the care of a rabbit, or to make a 10-year commitment to anything! All too often, the child loses interest, and the rabbit ends up neglected or abandoned. (House Rabbit Society)

You can also help spread the word that rabbits are not disposable pets by getting involved in the Make Mine Chocolate! campaign. Started in 2002 by the Columbus House Rabbit Society, the campaign aims to educate the public about the challenges of owning a rabbit and encourages parents to give chocolate or toy bunnies as Easter gifts instead of live rabbits. Check out the group's website, MakeMineChocolate.org, for more info.


Rabbits can be excellent pets for older, responsible children. Honey Bun had a wonderful life as my classroom pet. She was litter box trained, like a cat, and was free to roam the classroom most of the time. My students knew not to pick her up and she would often jump in their laps for attention.



Did you know you can hypnotize a rabbit by placing them on their backs? That was always a great way to calm my classroom.



Honey Bun and Friends



Easter 1955

My love for bunnies began at an early age.


House Rabbit Society


Please read The Easter Bunny Poem.


~~~~~~~






BTW, it's snowing in North Georgia this morning.

Happy Spring???






Happy Trails,

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are soooo cute! Thanks for the needed info on bunnies. Good to see Honey Bun again....Windy, coooold, sunny in Savannah. SH

Tammy Kauffman said...

You are just the cutest little bunny.

Mason Dixie said...

I would have to say that depends on the child you give the rabbit to. I had lots of rabbits growing up as a child and I loved every one of them, I bred them and had quite a few different breeds. I was very good with them and my bunnies loved to be held and their tummies rubbed and ears. But I do agree that a lot of children are not that way. Thanks for sharing the info. =)

Shelley said...

You were so adorable as a little bunny! Great post - it disheartens me when I see parents give young children chicks or rabbits for pets - doesn't usually turn out well.

Melissa said...

You made a very cute Easter bunny. Adorable, as you are now.

And Honey Bun was so lucky to have you as a Mommy.

Happy Easter to you.

Love Melissa

hillgrandmom said...

Didn't know that in the US rabbits are given as Easter presents!
Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Finnskimo said...

Awesome photos! I hate to post, and I hope I don't offend anyone, but here, in the frozen north, we eat bunnies for easter. Well, jack rabbits anyway. Its a family tradition. Its Rabbit Season (according to Elmer Fudd, its WABBIT SEASON!) here and roast rabbit is great, as is rabbit stew. Easter's always been about Jesus for us, so eating rabbit is just another spring time treat for us! Happy Easter!!!

Chester said...

That was a great post and I'm sure all the possible Easter bunnies appreciate it. I never owned a rabbit but I did have several guinea pigs (even as an adult) and must say that small furry animals are not always just for children and that adults can learn to love them (as did my hubby).
Honey Bun was a lucky bunny and you were a VERY cute Easter bunny yourself!
Happy Easter!
Chester's Mom

Homer said...

Is that you in the bunny costume? So darn cute!

Love,
Homer

Anonymous said...

Awwww. How wonderful. I had a black bunny when I was old enough. My sister's was white. Salt and Pepper. My dad made a great bunny hutch for us. Great memories. The bunny/Easter info was so good. My parents educated us long and hard before letting us get bunnies.
Adorable outfit.
Janet

Anonymous said...

Good info!!!

You are so adorable!!!!

Vicki